YSB SleepOUT for Youth 2018, Team GNAG is up and running!
This year in Ottawa, more than 1000 young people will spend the coldest, darkest, and harshest months of the year with no place to call home. Sadly, the winter months are not the only battle for homeless youth in Ottawa. Many are suffering from trauma, mental health issues, poverty, addiction, and other challenges that contribute to homelessness. GNAG (Glebe Neighbourhood Activities Group) has been a key participant in the YSB SleepOUT for the past 7 years and helping Ottawa’s homeless youth is one more way the amazing GNAG team has been a leader in our community.
On December 6, 2018 many of the staff, volunteers, board members and friends of GNAG will be sleeping outside to raise critical funds to support homeless youth in our community. Please, help us make a difference in the life of a youth, and make a donation today or join our team! Whichever way you decide to help, be assured you are making a difference.
Homeless youth in Ottawa are not on the streets by choice. Some startling numbers:
- Ottawa’s homeless are particularly young – 1 in 4 are under the age of 17 (vs. 1 in 7 nationally)
- Over 68% have a diagnosable mental health issue
- Over 60% have suffered abuse
- 48% have attempted suicide
- And (uncharacteristically high relative to national averages) over 40% identify as LGBTQ.
- More than 80% of the at-risk youth who work with the Youth Services Bureau get back on their feet and avoid becoming homeless.
- Last year more than 750 people participated in the YSB SleepOUT for youth and raised over $250,000 to help the Youth Service Bureau provide Ottawa’s homeless youth with mental & medical healthcare, supportive housing, and emergency food & shelter & essential services.
- GNAG has been a key participant in the YSB SleepOUT for the past 7 years and an amazing friend and partner of the Youth Services Bureau
Helping Ottawa’s homeless youth is one more way the amazing GNAG team has been a leader in our community. If you would like to join GNAG in making a difference and JOIN US on December 6 (sleeping out in a tent on Lansdowne Field), or support the Glebe Leadership kids as they take on the SleepOUT challenge. Go to the GNAG Team page.
If your kids would like to participate, but their schools aren’t running teams they can join Team GNAG (note: GCI, Ashbury, Glashan/Turnbull (“Middle Schools United”), Lisgar & the Element all have teams set up if that applies) – or they can also start their own teams! The YSB SleepOUT is an amazing Youth for Youth event!